May 23, 2009

Grocery Shopping 5-23-09

I'm pretty sure this was my best saving yet for grocery shopping. I went to two stores: Aldi and Meijer.

Here is the Aldi load:


Highlights:
Milk - $1.89
Eggs - $.85
Brick Cheese - $1.29

Total: $45.08

Everything else was pretty typical for an Aldi shopping trip. The price of cheese was lowered which made it cheaper to buy from Aldi than from Meijer, even with coupons. I didn't have enough coupons to stack. So I didn't get the great deal that Lacey did.

Now here's what I'm super proud of....the Meijer load:


Highlights:
Hunts ketsup - FREE with coupon received in mail today. I have no idea how I got, but it's free!
Ritz Crackers - $2.50 - $1 from MeijerMealbox
Wheat Thins - FREE - with manufacturer coupon from SmartSource. Sorry, no idea what week it's from. I also used a $1 Wheat Thins manufacturer coupon, and I think I got $1 extra off. Not sure though...too many coupons.
Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Sauce - $.44 each. I think I got ripped off on this one because my coupon was for $1 off 2, but the computer would only give me $.88 off because they were $.88 each on sale.
Ball Park hot dogs - $.98 each - $1 coupon on two, so $.48 each
Cool Whip - $.49 each using Kraft food coupon
Aunt Millies bread - $1.19 - $.35 manufacturer coupon, from SmartSource or RedPlum
Kraft Dressing - $1.49 - $1 coupon from MeijerMealbox or Kraftfoods.com
Ekrich sausage - $1.69 - $1 coupon on two, so $1.16 per pound
Breyers Ice Cream - $1.99 - $.75 or $1 coupon, I had two coupons. One for each denomination. Making the ice cream $1.12 each.
Jello - $.50 each - $1 coupon for three, so $.5 for 3 total
Ragu sauce - $1.34 each - $.60 manufacturer coupon from SmartSource or Red Plum
Danactive - $2 each - $1 manufacturer coupon
Lever 2000 - $4.5 each - $1.5 manufacter coupon from Red Plum
Bic Soleil razors - $4.5 each - $3 manufacturer coupon from SmartSource or Red Plum

Coupon Savings - $32.79
Non-Coupon and Meijer promotions savings - $31.70
Total Paid: $33.47

Grand Total: $78.55

So it looks like I went over budget, but I have a Household Items column in my budget for toiletry items. I spent $9.17 out of that column bringing the grocery total to $69.38. Still $4.38 overbudget, I know. I had leftover from last shopping trip which will cover the difference.

Note: We are also have company at least once during this two weeks. That meal is included in the groceries bought.

Menu:
Breakfasts:
-Eggs and Toast
-Bagels and Cottage Cheese
-English Muffin sandwiches
-Pancakes
-French Toast
-Baked Oatmeal

Lunches:
-leftovers from dinners
-yogurts
-Debbie Snacks

Dinners:
-Pork Roast, mashed potatoes, veggies
-Lasagna rollups
-Baked spaghetti
-Sausage and Penne with Vodka Sauce
-Marinated Baked Chicken and Rice
-Chicken Salad sandwiches
-Brats and homemade fries
-Sausage Veggie Grill Pockets

4 comments:

Adminswife said...

You are amazing! I guess I better get on the stick and keep up with the Joneses (Lacey & you).

Tell me how you make your chicken salad sandwiches. I LOVE them, but have never made them at home. I would want to make them with less fat, maybe yogurt instead of mayo.

Have a good week! See you soon!

Lacey said...

Yay! Great job, Emily! We have quite the new hobby, huh? I think I'm going to have to take a break from couponing for a little while after Jaden's born, though (*gasp*). :-) And thanks for the heads up on the Breyer's! I've been hoping that would go on sale, and I swear it's not in our ad this week. But I picked up two of them tonight for $.99 each. So excited! Anyway, hopefully we'll have a new baby to call you about SOON! Love you!

Emily said...

Mom,

I wouldn't say that my chicken salad sandwiches are healthy at all. I use canned chicken or leftover "real" chicken. I add whatever veggies I have in the fridge: onion, green pepper, celery, broccoli, etc. Then I mix in mayo and a squirt of ranch dressing. I do try to go easy on the mayo and ranch. Dan and I have found that the ranch is what makes the sandwich for us. I don't really measure anything, just throw it all together!

emily

Tobin and Erin said...

Amazing.

Tobin and I tried the Save a Lot place you sent me an email about. We got lots of cheap bananas (a lil too many...had to throw one away it got so old) and a few other items. It will take me a bit to get good at this shopping thing, but I actually did pretty good this month I think. I'll know by the end of the month. At least we will be under our $300 limit for probably the first time since we moved to Florida!