May 20, 2010

Waking up from a Coma


I did not know prior to the surgery that I would be put into a coma. It’s kind of weird waking up from it.

First memory:

Chunk! (think big level used to turn on stage lights)

BRIGHT red light is directly over my head shining in my eyes. (Hindsight tells me my eyes were closed hence the red. I think I was still in my ICU room.)

Dr. F.: Emily, do you want to get this tube out of your mouth?

I have a tube in my mouth? Huh, well, he sounds like getting it out is a good thing… I nod yes.

Dr. F.: Ok, you going to feel a little pull while we get the tape off. There’s some on your nose and your cheeks.

“Little pull” my hiney, that medical tape is the most lethal weapon they have at the hospital. I think all the captured terrorists would start talking really quick if they just put some medical tape on a hairy part of their body and RIP it off. Yep, that is the solution to world peace.

Dr. F.: Ok, Emily, when I count to three I need you to give me a big cough. Ok?

Cough? Why should I cough? I nod anyway.

Dr. F.: One, two, three!

A two-by-four is ripped deep out of my throat, so deep I wonder how I didn’t know it was there. I start coughing and gagging. So to make it worse, Dr. F sticks the suction tube down my throat. I do mean down my throat. Like, it was in my stomach. Seriously. I’m gagging and coughing. It was terrible.

Dr. F.: That was a great cough, Emily!

Gee thanks

Nurse: Don’t worry honey, he’s not going to put his sword down your throat again. You can rest now.

Sleep beautiful sleep….

4 comments:

Tim said...

Great description.

Adminswife said...

Elyse says: "Ow!"

Anonymous said...

YIKES. What a way to wake up!

- Betsey

Tobin and Erin said...

Oh my! For the times I've been put to sleep, I don't remember waking up or the tube being taken out of me AT ALL. Guess a coma is different. Sounds like I am lucky to have not experienced it.