Jul 26, 2011

Dining Room Table Reveal

So I thought I would blog about every step in the table re-do process. However, it was an agonizingly long process. I found it hard to spend time on the project so it was delayed and delayed.

Also, it took so many coats of paint and poly with sanding in between that I think it would have been an extremely boring series of posts.

Painting Coat 1
Sanding Coat 1
Painting Coat 2
Sanding Coat 2
Poly Coat 1
Sanding Poly Coat 1
Poly Coat 2
Sanding Poly Coat 2
Poly Coat 3
Sanding Poly Coat 3
Poly Coat 4
Sanding...

Get the picture? Boring right? Oh and I would have had to keep going all the way to 7!!!! I stopped the chairs at 5 coats of poly, but the table top has 7 coats. Land sakes almighty, 7 coats.

I now know the issue with the table top. Unfortunately, it needed a better sanding job. I only sanded it with 60-80 grit sandpaper to remove the old finish, and I didn't go over it again with a lighter grit like everyone told me to. I was so sick of sanding (Betsey, are you with me on this one??). It's a bit of a bummer now because the table top isn't as spectacular as it could be, but oh well for now.

Enough lamenting?

Before:


After:






Woot woot! I love it!

5 comments:

Adminswife said...

How did I miss this one? I saw the patio furniture and the organizing of the cabinets, but missed the table. I know, you know the real color of my hair. Anyway, GREAT JOB!!!!! Such creativity. Just wait until I get MY house - you'll have to live with me for months to get it all the way I want it. OK, I take that as a promise from you - thanks for your help in the future!!!!!

Emily said...

Ha! You are funny, mom! You could be re-doing your furniture now. That all comes with you so you aren't putting money into somthing you'll leave behind.

As far as missing the posts. I thought I schedule them for today and tomorrow (the organzing one should have been tomorrow). However, they both posted this morning. Guess whose hair is blond now??

Tim said...

Nice work, Emily! I am so impressed!

Anonymous said...

SEVEN COATS??!! I am confident I would have given up at 2. Awesome job! How were you able to tell that it needed more coats?

The set is truly beautiful, Emily! I hope you get compliments on it every time someone sees it, from now til the day you sell it for far more than you originally paid! :) You did an incredible job. It makes such a difference in your dining room!

love,
Buzz

Emily said...

After 2 coats, the stain parts were still dull and lifeless. :( I just kept going until I thought it was shiny enough. It might be a tad on the too shiny side now, but oh well!