Jul 27, 2011

Re-organizing

Inspired by this post I decided to tackle two areas that are constantly disorganized in my kitchen (1) the "snack" cabinet and (2) the pantry.

Now don't get too excited here. I am taking baby steps. This is not a major organization overhaul. I re-organized the snack cabinet while Dan made dinner, and the pantry in about 20 minutes after dinner.

I was able to purge some slightly expired items along the way. Olive Garden salad dressing from Betsey's wedding, anyone? I'm embarrassed to admit how long she's been married. Let's just say it expired two months after her wedding. Two months! Really, unopened salad dressing is only good for two months? How do you think it is after two years???

The Snack Cabinet - Before

 

The Snack Cabinet - After


I moved the large unopened items to the pantry, and tried to stack things neatly.

Why do we have so many marshmallows?


The Pantry - Before




The  Pantry - After





I have precious little cabinet space in my kitchen so I turned one of our coat closets into a pantry. It is really hard to get a good picture in the narrow hallway so that's why it took two shots.

You will notice tons of junk still on the floor and a bowl or two still precariously perched on top of the crock pot. Baby steps, folks, baby steps.

My organizing structure is:

Top half shelf - dog stuff and Korean ingrediants

Middle half shelf - baking items

Bottom half shelf - snack and drink items

What do you think?

2 comments:

Lacey said...

Woo-hoo! :-) Doesn't it feel good to get even a little more organized? Looks great!

Erin Bolton said...

Exciting! Getting organized just makes you feel so much better. Watch a Hoarders episode, it will make you want to throw out all your stuff.

Hehehe...don't mix up the dog stuff and the Korean ingredients! That would be an interesting meal.