Sep 17, 2009

Fantastic Dinner!!!

Unfortunately, Dan was not home when I made this meal. He had to work late, and I didn't think my mushrooms could last one more day. So I made this scrumptious meal for me, myself, and I. I gave it a 4-3/4 out of 5. I thought it was simply fabulous!

I found these recipes in my Rachael Ray cookbook. I by no means made them up myself.

Turkey and Wild Mushroom Meat Loaf

3 T olive oil
8 crimini (baby portobello) mushrooms, chopped
8 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/3 lb. ground turkey (I used 1lb, and it worked fine)
3 or 4 sprigs of fresh sage, leaves stripped and chopped (I used dried)
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 C Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
2 T butter
2 C chicken or turkey broth
1 t poultry seasoning

Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, mushrooms, shallots, salt, and pepper. Saute until mushrooms are dark and tender, about 5-6 minutes. Remove to a bowl and return pan to stovetop to preheat to cook patties.

In a mixing bowl, mix turkey, sage, Worcestershire sauce, bread crumbs, egg, and mushroom/onion mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste. Make a small 1 inch patty and cook for 1 minute on each side. Taste to see if the raw meat mixture needs more spice.

Divide meatloaf into patties 1 inch thick. Add 1 t olive oil to pan and arrange patties in pan. Cook 6 minutes on each side and transfer to serving plate.

Return pan to heat and add butter. When melted, wisk flour and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk broth and season gravy with poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Pour over patties, reserve some for table if you like.

Herb Smashed Potatoes with Goat Cheese

3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
salt and pepper to taste
1 T olive oil
2 T butter
1 shallot, chopped
10 blades chives, chopped or snipped (3 T)
3 or 4 sprigs of thyme, leaves stripped and chopped (again, I used dried)
1 C chicken broth (I only ended up using 1/3 C)
1 small log (4oz.) herb, peppercorn, or plain goat cheese

Bring pot water to a boil, and boil potatoes until fork-tender, about 15 minutes.

drain potatoes and return empty pot to stove. Adjust heat to medium. Add oil, butter. When melted add shallots and saute 2-3 minutes. Add chives and thyme, then potatoes to pot. Mash potatoes, adding broth as you work to achieve desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper.

Remove goat cheese from packaging and cut into disks. Serve potatoes on dinner plates and top each mound with a disk of goat cheese.

6 comments:

Tobin and Erin said...

My goodness, dearie. That sounds like a scrumptious meal, and I would like some please! Hope Dan got the leftovers...if there were any, it would be hard to save those dishes for later! Did you end up liking the goat cheese?

GREAT job on the groceries! We had to scrimp on that last half of this month since we didn't do so hot the first half of the month, and we were pretty excited with the results. Of course, we are eating casseroles and eggs for the rest of September, haha.

Good to hear from you, it's nice to know you guys are doing well. Is Dan liking the new job still? Are you enjoying your job? When are the babies coming? Etc etc. Love ya!

(just kidding about the babies part. but seriously.)

Adminswife said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Adminswife said...

I think you should come be my personal chef. Sometimes I don't want to cook dinner at all. By that time, I am ready for a nap. I never tried goat's cheese - is it good? The kids had a fit about it, but when told they eat cow's cheese, they settled down a bit. Funny children.

BTW, the word verification says "ditsu" is that providential?

Tim said...

Good to see you posting again. I thought maybe you hadn't eaten since August 7.

Adminswife said...

Dan - you are VERY handsome in the "groceries" update. You never looked so good!

Emily said...

Dan and I liked the goat cheese. It has a very sharp taste, which I could see Elyse turning up her nose to. It really adds a lot to the potatoes. A little dab 'ill do ya, though!