Aug 10, 2011

Picture Frame Collage

I've started collecting cheap frames to do a frame collage above the couch in our family room. I'm trying to narrow down my ideas.

I'm a pretty clean-cut kinda girl. So while I like looking at ones like this. I think its a little too messy for me.

Source: None via Emily on Pinterest


I'm really drawn to black and white. I like this one. I'd probably go with less frames and more sizes of frames.



In contrast, I really like white frames too. I also truly love Young House Love. I read them everyday. I admit it.



This one speaks to me as well. It is courtesy of Pottery Barn. I'm thinking of how I could wrap a frame in burlap or maybe wrap a mat in burlap. I like the texture and variation is gives the collage.



Empty frame collages. They look lovely in the pictures. I love the colors, textures, and shapes that people put together. I'm not sold on the idea for my house. Like I said, I'm a clean lines kind of girl. I think this is just too ornate for me. If you can call painted, empty frames ornate.



That's as far as my ideas have formed. Have you done a collage? What types of frames did you put together? How did you decide what to put in the frames?

6 comments:

Lacey said...

Gotta be honest. The idea of doing a collage like this stresses me out a little bit, because I can totally imagine what it would look like once the kids were jumping all over the house - completely unleveled. Can you imagine straightening 20 picture frames every day? Eek. But that's my own crazy life. I'm sure Dan will treat your collage better than that. :-)

Emily said...

How funny! I never even considered it not staying level. I've heard recently about hanging frames with 3M velcro. That way they'd stay level and you wouldn't have to be super exact when putting a nail in the wall.

Adminswife said...

I have thought about a collage, and have 5 or 6 frames collected. I just don't know what I want to put in the frames as yet. The frames also need painting. Once you get the frames up, you can put a gob of ticky-tack (sp) on the corner and the frames won't move/tip. That keeps them straight and it doesn't hurt your painted wall.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will have to think about my collage a little more before I start putting it up.

Emily said...

Don't forget pictures, mom! I want to see what you do!

Erin Bolton said...

Not that you asked for this, but my favorite is the pottery barn one, but more the size of the empty-frame one. I like that!

I've never done anything like this, but it seems like a great idea! Maybe in Minot I can give 'er a try.

I have an idea for a mini DIY project for my poor, messy jewelry collection. I'll try to post about it once I get going.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I like the empty frames as well. The other ones just seem too busy to me. Although I would like the Young House Love collage with all black and white photos of family, including ancestors. In a hallway. In a room I would probably want the empty frames.

I'm getting excited about these other DIY projects the fam has going on! Looking forward to seeing them. :)

love,
Betsey