Nov 4, 2009

Halloween and Clogged Drains

Here are some things we have been learning/doing recently:

1. Zach does not like carving pumpkins (don't be mislead by his face in the fist pic). Below you can see the photos of our lovely pumpkins. Zach's is the one in the back that you can't see because there aren't any holes in it. In fact, most of the insides are still inside. It wasn't his cup of tea.



2. George likes warm laundry. As I was folding this load, I kept tossing the socks over the side of the basket. I noticed a few had landed on him and he didn't move. So I decided to see how many he would let me toss on him. Apparently, the whole basket...


3. Clogged drains are hard to unclog. I'm not talking a little hairball is in the way either. I regularly clean out our tub drain because my hair collects very quickly. I used our little plastic snake thing, and it comes out perfectly clean. We buy an auger. First we try sticking it down the overflow drain: no clog there. Then we tried sticking it down the drain: the auger is too big. Darn. So we resort to stuffing a rag down the overflow drain and plunging the bottom drain. We do this for a while the first night and get some nasty particles but no water flow. We give up.

A few days later, I read a blog about unplugging drains, and they suggested pouring boiling water down the drain. So with renewed vigor, I boil some water that night to give it a try. After one large pot of water, not a budge in the clog. While we debate whether or not to try more boiling water, Dan goes back to plunging. More icky stuff, not a budge in the clog. After plunging for a while, he picks up the hanger that we had used earlier (I didn't mention that trick, but we did try it at one point). He sticks it not 1 inch down the drain, and FLOOSH down goes the water. Where did the clog go? Don't know. But I'm guessing we plunged the clog up to the top of the drain, and the hanger did the trick at the end. Magic.

Then we decided to clean our drain with baking soda and vinegar. Very cool science experiment.


The End.

4. Our dog, George. He is just super cute. This is him watching us unclog the drain.

7 comments:

Adminswife said...

We had the same issue in our upstairs bath tub. We tried the plastic whatchamacallit - that didn't work. The drain plug wouldn't come off without stripping the screw head. Dad went to the store and read the bottles in the "Get your drained cleaned out" section. He bought Draino foaming something that works or your money back. Well, it worked! So, we won't be getting any money back. Our drain always ran slow, so we KNOW it isn't all our hair in the pipe. Gross!

Tobin and Erin said...

George IS super cute. He is one good looking dog. And his fur is so shiny! Isn't it cool to think how happy he is now that he's not in the shelter anymore?

One of our rapscallions (Titus) got out this morning & ran off. I about had a heart attack, but Tobin caught him pretty quickly. Sheesh!

I LOVE pumpkin carving, but it is pretty gross. Is that what Z didn't like? The pumpkins look great, I really like that one of the ghoul peeking out of the blinds!

Glad you got your drain unclogged. We have one of those plastic things too, works wonders. I think it's a necessity for Rumley girls' hair!

Anonymous said...

Good tips on the drain issue! We use the plastic thing, too, and Drain-O has NOT worked for me in the past. I'll have to dry the boiling water sometime.

On the topic of cleaning products, I love using baking soda in the bathtub! It works miracles on soap scum - thank for the tip! However, it doesn't do anything for the black mold that gets in the tile grooves. Have you found anything that works on that?

And George IS cute. :) My students think so, too. He made an appearance in my "Mi Familia y Yo" power point.

LOVE you guys!!!
Buzz

Emily said...

Woohoo! George is famous! Thanks!

About mold on grout, it is super hard to clean. Bleach is the most successful thing I've used, but it is VERY harsh. The roomm wasn't ventilated well enough so the next day I had a rash on all skin that was exposed (arms, neck, and face). Be very careful if you use it.

Anonymous said...

Yikes, lady! No, our bathroom is not well-ventilated either. No air-sucky system, whatever those are. I will have to resort to other measures....

Thanks for the tip!

love,
Betsey

Electra Maven said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Ugg Boots
Uggs
Ugg
Ugg Sale
Uggs Online Sale
buy uggs
Buy Ugg Boots
Buy Uggs
Buy Uggs Online
Cheap uggs
Cheap ugg boots
discount ugg
discount ugg boots
Australia UGGS
Australia Ugg Boots
ugg bags
UGG Sheepskin Boots
Wholesale UGGS
Wholesale Ugg Boots
UGG Onsale
Ugg classic cardy
Fashion Ugg Boots
Fashion Uggs
uggs outlet
Classic Ugg Boots
Mini Ugg Boots