May 19, 2010

AVM Surgery


I obviously don’t recall any of the information from this day. :) This is what Dan and my family has told me.

The surgery started bright and early on Thursday, December 3. The surgeon needed a fresh team as this surgery was predicted to last anywhere from 6 to 24 hours.

First the prep work, shave the incision area, make the incision, peal back the skin, open the skull, and we’re ready to begin the surgery (too much detail??). I don’t recall the time when they actually were ready to begin to take it out,  but it took a long time to prepare for that and an even longer time to take out the AVM. It was a very delicate procedure.

The AVM was even bigger than the surgeon had imagined. It was a big fella. The AVM was the size of an apricot but cone shaped like a banana pepper. The most difficult part was extracting the tip from deep down in the brain.

Dan and my parents waited at the hospital waiting room. Luke and Lacey held a prayer vigil at the church during the ENTIRE surgery. What a blessing! I can’t even tell you what a comfort and joy it is to think that so many people were lifting me up in prayer that day. It brings tears to my eyes right now to think of the prayer warriors at L&L’s church that didn’t even know me, but yet, they committed part of their day to bringing me before the ultimate Healer.

Can you imagine sitting in the waiting room? I can’t. I’m a worrier by nature. My mom says I get it from my dad. Here is another part where I see God’s mighty hand at work. I was not worried. I did get anxious before surgery, but the night in between and after (and the weeks leading up to surgery), God had me wrapped in peace.

Back to the surgery, my family got updates every few hours. Oh the pins and needles they must have been sitting on during that time.

Around midnight, Dr. Rob, the physician’s assistant, is going home. Dr. F. is still finishing up, but he can handle the rest. Sometime after 1pm, I’m all put bsack together and returned to my room in the ICU. To assist in the healing process, I was put into a medically induced coma.

Dan and my parents (I think L&L came too after the vigil) are allowed to see me in my room. My room is now a low stimulation room. They say you can hear what people say to you while you’re in a coma. I don’t know. I don’t remember. Those drugs are good you know?

Some 18 or 19 hours later, surgery is over. Now, the healing begins.

5 comments:

Lacey said...

Yep, we left the church at 2am to come to the hospital to see you. It was a long day for everyone, but a privilege to be able to bring you before the throne of God! We love you! (Oh, by the way, I stayed at the church the entire time, but Luke went back and forth between the church and the hospital.)

Anonymous said...

Emily - you are so right about the people at L & L's church! I was in awe of the amount of care they had for someone they didn't know at all. What a challenge for us, who were so close and cared so much, to do likewise for people we don't know. I was blown away. And so thankful!

That was a very anxious night for all of us! I don't know that any Rumleys got much sleep that night, but you were definitely covered in prayer as a result of us not being able to sleep. :) I remember that feeling of relief and gratitude I had after hearing you made it out of the surgery. God was so good to all of us through that journey of waiting.

We are fortunate to have you with us, sis. Your life is a blessing that I am so thankful for!!!

love,
Buzz

Adminswife said...

Elyse says: "At the prayer vigil, at the church, Z & I were able to play the Wii. We did get a good night's sleep."

Adminswife said...

I was amazed during the surgery. People from your church, L & L's church, relatives and friends came and sat with us for a short time. It was kind of an amazing time. You were going through a long and hard surgery, we were being blessed by people praying for you, for us and for safety traveling as people drove back and forth from the vigil to the hospital. People in the waiting room came and left. Their family member's surgery was started and finished. We watched the screen on the wall for "Emily" - only it was a number, not a name. A lot of people's name went up and was taken down - your number stayed there what seemed like forever. Then after midnight, it was just two families left. Every time the phone rang, we raced each other to find out if it was information on our Emily or the other family's patient. Then the other family left and it was just us. I think we stayed there until 3:00 waiting for you to be out of recovery. One time, the nurse said there was a family friend that couldn't find us. We were supposed to meet them and update them on your surgery. Funny thing, we didn't know them from Adam. Dan happened to be out of the room when they arrived. It was your SS teacher and his wife. I recognized the man, but had never met the wife. They sat with us for about 30 minutes. It was so cool to see so many people loving you and praying for you. I guess my only thought is you ARE amazing and so many people know that. Isn't God good?

Tobin and Erin said...

It was an awesome experience even this far away...Lacey had posted the online prayer vigil sign up, and you were covered in prayer JUST with online pledges for nearly every minute of that surgery. In ADDITION to the prayer warriors physically at the vigil! The slideshow & verses Luke & Lacey developed were enough to keep you praying for much longer than your scheduled time slot. I've never really experienced anything like it, but I've never been so grateful for a group of family, friends, and many complete strangers that were constantly lifting you up in prayer! Emily, you are a walking inspiration every day. I love you so much, and am SO GLAD the scary part is over.