May 9, 2010

The Days Leading Up to Surgery


After you’ve been in the hospital for any amount of time, you loose track of the date, how many days you’ve been there, what happened on a given day, etc. It’s like time stands still.

The visitors I remember before surgery are my co-worker Whitney, her husband, Candice, and Jordan. I think Whitney came to visit a day or two before the embolization. She is such a sweetheart. I love her to death. We had a nice visit in my itty-bitty (but private!) regular room.

Speaking of rooms, I was moved back to a regular room to await surgery. No worries, nothing happens this time! Except bad roommates, Holy Cow!

Roommate #1 is very, very ill. Whatever she has causes her to vomit and call out for her family all the time. Remember, I am on bed rest, no blowing my nose, pushing out BM’s, etc (don’t you love all the details!). Throwing up is definitely out of the question. Dan finds the nurse, explains the situation and requests a room change. The nurse claims Roommate #1 isn’t contagious. I’m glad you think so, but you aren’t sleeping 4 feet away from her!.

We get a room change that night. Thank you, Lord!

We are in our new room for several hours before Roommate #2 arrives. She is a hysterically-cranky, sweet old lady. Her family is with her through the evening then leaves. We over hear the nurses doing their neuro-checks and cognitive tests with her. We can barely contain the laughter on the other side of the curtain. I think she answered every question in the most sarcastic manner possible.

Nurse: What day is today?

Roommate #2: How should I know?

Nurse: Why did you come here today?

Roommate #2: Some old fart brought me here.

I can’t remember all the things she said. The term “old fart” was used over and over in reference to anyone and everyone. Hysterical.

I don’t know how long we were in that room, but we were eventually brought to a private room once one opened. It was so tiny (as mentioned above), but SO nice to not have some stranger snoring next to you or waking you up in the middle of the night because she doesn’t know where she is. Poor lady.

The night before the embolization Candice and Jordan came to visit. What was so great about their visit, besides the company, was Candice did my nails. So fun! She gave me a wonderful manicure. My nails were a fantastic purple when she finished. I kept it on the entire time I was in the hospital and rehab. It really lifted my spirits when I looked at it.

That night I was progressively more and more anxious. I’d like to think I kept a pretty cool exterior, but I don’t know. Family, feel free to call me out. I remember someone says that when they were in the hospital, they got some meds for anxiety to help calm them down before the procedure. Eventually, I buzzed my nurse to ask for the same thing. I’m not sure what I got, but it definitely did not calm me down. I think the meds are either psychological or meant to prevent anxiety not treat it once you are anxious.

**I don’t remember this part, but Dan says I asked for it over and over again before the embolization. I was getting a little freaked out, ya know?**

3 comments:

Luke said...

I don't know, but I think you are off the hook for being anxious. I just read your last 8 posts or so and am trying not to cry. Praising God, too - 10K! Love you, Em.

Betsey said...

It's beautiful and fitting that the song you want to embody with your life was sung at Mom and Dad's wedding. It's quite a legacy He's been building through the years. Thanks for being so transparent about how God has worked in your life. You are showing His glory.

Love you so much, Em!
Buzz

Tobin and Erin said...

Oh Em! I didn't know about you requesting anxiety meds. I remember Dan saying you were getting nervous about the surgery. We were praying so hard! You had so many people surrounding you with prayer. The day of the actual surgery blew me away, knowing you were being covered in prayer every single minute.