Apr 27, 2010

Maybe Not Just a Headache: Saturday, November 14, 2009


I’m tired. My head hurts.

Sleeping.

I’m tired. My head hurts.

More sleeping.

I remember groggily waking up to Dan’s iPhone propped up on my arm.

Cool. I’ll check my email.

Note: I did not notice my surroundings. Turn iPhone on and the notepad is up. Dan wrote, “I’m here. I went to the bathroom right next door. You are ok. I’ll be right back.”

Weird-o. What is he talking about? I’m going to check my email.

Note: Again, did not notice my surroundings.

I’m tired. My head hurts. I’m going to take a nap.

Sleeping.

The next time I remember waking up, Dan and some of our friends from our church are in a room with me. Hi, guys! It’s a party!

I don’t know how the news was broken to me. Apparently, I had been told several times though my waking, sleeping, waking, and more sleeping routine that:

1)     I was in the hospital.
2)     There was something wrong with my short term memory.
3)     A CT scan has revealed a malformation in the arteries in my brain. The arteries had burst (causing the headache) and blood had pooled in the brain (the pressure from which caused my short term memory to say bye-bye!).
4)     I was going to be transported to Spectrum in downtown GR because the hospital I was at couldn’t handle this issue.
5)     I was having brain surgery today.

Cool! Let’s get going with it them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I posted my comment JUST as you published a new post! I like that we both do other things while at work. :)

Your #5 is terrifying. Did the impact of that register with you, or were you so out of it that you were looking forward to partying with your church friends all the way to brain surgery??

Your story gives me the shivers up my spine.

love you,
Buzz

Tobin and Erin said...

This is like 50 first dates. Especially the iPhone thing. Dan takes such good care of you!

Adminswife said...

I never heard the part about the iphone - funny story! I know it doesn't all seem funny, but that part truly is. Love you, Em! You are doing a great service to us and everyone that reads this. Thanks!

Emily said...

I think I mention this in an up coming post, but my attitude was very non-challant (sp). I was high on life and nothing could bring me down. At some point Dr. Rob did sit down by my bed look me in the eye and ask, "Do you understand what has happened to you? Do you understand that this is a major surgery?" I told him I did. I guess that was my way of dealing with the reality of the situation. Also, I think God was protecting me from freaking out. That would come later! ;)

Tobin and Erin said...

It's a good thing you respond to crisis situations like Mom. You're always a cool head in an emergency.