Mar 2, 2006

not what i expected

so tonight (thursday night) i had a mock interview session at CU. Principals from area schools come and do fake interviews with teacher ed students to prepare them for what it will be like when they do it for real. they look over the resume and give some pointers, ask a few questions, and basically give some advice.

so...lucky me...i get the hardballer. (not sure if that's the right term but read on and you'll see what i mean). the guy that interviewed me was SO blunt. and i mean SO blunt. the first topic of coversation was "how are you going to deal with diversity in your classroom?" because i can see that you have had no diversity experience on your resume (except your current living situation) and you are a little, white girl. you are not going to get respect from the students based on how you look, so what are you going to do. 1st of all-do you not think i 've heard that i'm short and look young all my life???? do you not think i've learned to deal with it???? granted, everything he told me was good information, but holy cow was he harsh!

he did give me some great pointers for classroom management and getting parental support. i did learn a lot. he really didn't like that i went to a majority white school and had all my teaching experience with "smart" kids. (let me tell you that the kids i've tutored have not been "smart", but of course i couldn't think that fast to tell him that)

so i guess he did his job. i was fuming at some points, indignant at others, laughing with him and understanding what he was saying all the way through though. so, it was a humbling experience, but i'm glad i did it. it did help to prepare me for my interview today. well i think i have one today, but i haven't had a confirmation email telling me for sure. so we'll see if i really do have an interview today. (for those of you who don't know friday at 3:00pm i'm interviewing with Lansing Christian School)

so yeah, i do take things too personally, but i have learned a lot this week to just let things roll. (i've had classroom management issues all week.) so just another learning experience!

tata for now!

4 comments:

Adminswife said...

You are amazing! Should I go talk to that guy? The nerve! To think you lived with us crazies for 20+ years, what does he mean you haven't dealt with certain people before - he hasn't got a clue! We love you - come on home - forget GR!

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like Mr. Hardballer understood his job and did it well. He was probably worse than any interviewer will be, but he let you know what interviewers will be thinking, but most won't say. The obstacles of your young looks and lack of diversity are there whether the interviewer asks or not. Now you know to address them if the interviewer doesn't. Example: it is the end of the interview and the you haven't been asked about only teaching smart kids. He says, is there anything you want to ask me? You say, I think I should point out that while my classroom experience is all with advanced students; I spent xx hours tutoring students that struggle and I really grew in my teaching skills through that experience. After you get a teaching job, send Mr. Hardballer a thank you note. Think of him as the drill sergeant in boot camp. It was his job to be hard you so you don't killed by live fire!

Lacey Rumley said...

Dad said what I was gonna say, but more coherently.

Prayin' at 3pm today.

--
Luke

Tobin and Erin said...

yay for learning experiences...ha, not fun at the time though!

YOU CAN DO IT kid! i reallyreally hope everything goes well today. we rumley's are gettin' jobs left and right, dontcha know, so it'll be ok! love you!