Jun 27, 2009

Baking Day

Goal: Make muffins, English Muffins, and cookies

This is my very first baking day. I'm trying to become Suzie Homemaker here! Really, I do love to cook, but this baking day idea is driven by our need to cut back our grocery spending.

Blueberry Muffins: Using the fresh blueberries that I got such a good deal on, I made muffins for our breakfasts. This will last us 3 meals. Don't they look scrumptious???


English Muffins: I found this recipe on The Happy Housewife, and I thought I'd try it. By my estimation it cost $1.40 total for the recipe, and I made 24 muffins. Now the recipe was only supposed to make 11-13 muffins, but I rolled them out too thin. So the finished product was a bit thinner, but they still taste awesome!

Rising:


Finished!


Cookies: This is part one of doing away with Little Debbie. Sorry Little Debbie, I really do love your scrumptious cakes! I froze most of these in individual packets for easy lunch making. I haven't estimated the cost on these, but I imagine $2-$3. These will last me easily 4 weeks, and it would have cost $4 (at least) in Little Debbies. So not much saved, but a penny saved is a penny earned!

6 comments:

Tobin and Erin said...

On the cookies...I think a 50% savings is GREAT. Even though it doesn't look like much on the first time, just wait a few months and it will start adding up. You inspire me, as always. I want to be able to do this too; and if you have time I feel like I should too.

Tim said...

Wow, if Zach did not have a game tonight (the championship game at that), I would be in my car on the way up there. It all looks scrumptious!

Adminswife said...

I never thought of using paper towels on the cooling racks. I just put the cookies right on the racks. I copied the English Muffin recipe down and I will make them soon. We are having a showing on Monday night, so I don't want the house to smell like a baking fiasco. I probably will try them Tuesday. That is if Betsey gets done with her cookies. Glad to learn new things and try new recipes. You ARE amazing, as usual! The homemade stuff will taste much better than Little Debbies - so even if it costs more, it will taste better and be better for you. Good work!

Tim said...

FWIW - Little Debbie is the major funding source for the Seventh Day Adventist Church. Baking instead of buying Little Debbie would allow you to give some of the savings to someone you are in more agreement with, if you so wished.

Emily said...

No way! I had no idea Little Debbie funded the Seventh Day Adventists. Hmmm, yep not buying them anymore. It is a little consolation to me that I rarely bought the actual Little Debbie brand. It was mostly the Aldi knock-off! :)

Tobin and Erin said...

Ok Em. You're brilliant. Like Mom, I never thought to use paper towels on the racks (not that we ever have paper towels...those go fast!), what a GREAT idea! I'm forever cleaning up the pile of crumbs off the counter after I bake. You're a smarty pants.

And, I want some of your cookies. And your muffins. Not so much the English ones. Not my favorite. Do they taste different homemade? I've never been a fan of those guys, but if they taste good homemade, that's always an option for us.

BIG NEWS! Tobin and I were actually able to REDUCE the amount of money in our grocery column for next month! Yeah, baby! We're nowhere near you and Dan yet, but we're trying to get better, save some money, and stick to our budget. Oh and pay off loans, that's our favorite activity. Haha. See you this weekend! YAAAAAAAAY!